Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Very Sweet Find

I was in Santa Monica for an appointment and decided to treat myself to some sweets - my weakness....

My first stop was Huckleberry, where everything looked delicious but the Disneyland-esque line full of well-off Westsiders sent me to my final destination.

La Monarca is at the corner of Euclid and Wilshire, the Southeast corner to be exact! Oh my goodness - I had heard that this place was special - a Mexican bakery with a French touch. Upon entering, the first thing I noticed was the glass case holding all sorts of pastries, and the requisite silver tray and tongs allowing me to serve myself. I chose a slice of cornbread, a dulce de leche croissant, and a guava cheese cigar shaped pastry.  Next is a case of cakes, sold whole or in slices. I chose a vanilla cake with fruit in its layers, and vanilla frosting.  As I rounded the corner to the main counter, I was overwhelmed with all sorts of cookies, quiche, cupcakes, and on and on.

The workers were friendly and efficient and the only thing I could fault the place with is the small space between the counter and the tables. It makes it difficult for the workers to pass the line of customers with trays.

Everything I had was excellent - I have a particular fondness for the cornbread which is almost the consistency of bread pudding - with kernels of corn - yum.....

I actually returned the following week and noticed on their "Specials" board a Vegetarian Chorizo. I asked how this was served and chose a torta which of course used their wonderful bread as well. They actually gave me a sample on a small slice to try - and it was heavenly - full of spices and flavor.

They have many coffee choices and the prices are very reasonable.

Go there - now!

La Monarca Bakery
1300 Wilshire Blvd.
Santa Monica,CA 90403
310-451-1114
lamonarcabakery.com

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog...The corn bread sounds amazing, the place sounds charming I am getting hungry just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie! You have to try it!

    ReplyDelete